The target date for migration to ICD-10 codes in US is approaching at a fast rate.There is huge financial risk for non-compliance as well as due to processes lacking readiness to take care of the evolving scenarios. Though the technology challenges are minimal, the change in processes and validation of the business flow is a big challenge; especially due to the following issues:
- The extent of impact across the organization.
- Number of applications impacted and their changes having an impact on many business processes.
- Large number of ICD codes, and validation / migration requiring domain knowledge.
We present the outline of an approach here on how RMsis can be used to maintain an oversight and manage the entire migration process.
Step 1: Check Readiness to Migrate
- The objectives / goals of key stakeholders should be clearly stated.
- The migration strategy and ICD Code Mapping / Decision criteria should be clearly articulated.
Step 2 : Create an inventory of all the major entities
A well classified inventory should contain (at least)
- Migration Goals and Objectives from all stakeholders.
- List of all processes and sub-processes impacted
- The relationships / dependencies between processes and sub-processes
- List of all changes being done to the products.
- ICD codes which are to be used by the system
The following view shows an example of inventory created in RMsis
Step 3 :Develop an overall plan, including key milestones
- Breakdown into smaller sub-projects
- Prioritize the changes with large business impact
- Establish milestones, especially for handover to Testing Team and for final deployment
Step 4 : Develop Specifications
For all the impacted entities in the inventory, it is critical to write down specification for
- The Transition Phase
- Steady State
- Mechanism of exception handling
Step 5 : Make changes to the products
Implement and test the implementation as per specifications at the individual product level.
Step 6 : Design and Specify Test Cases
For each of the entities identified (including the objectives), design and develop test cases. A sample RMsis view of the same is presented below
Step 7 : Execute Test Cases and Log Results
Step 8 : Monitor progress and impact on Inventory
- Traceability functions can be used to monitor set of requirements against failed test cases.
- JIRA's native capabilities can be used to monitor trends like
- Open tasks.
- Trend of Issues logged.
- Demo Link : http://jira-rmsis.optimizory.com/secure/rmsis.jspa
- Project : ICD-10 Migration
- Login details
- Username : demo.user
- Password : demo.user
For any suggestions or questions, please send a mail to: email@example.com