Question : When I attach a PNG/ JPEG file using the "Attachments" column in RMsis and then click to view, the image opens in a lightbox. However, when I attach a file of type DOCX or a PDF the option to save the file is presented. How can I configure to use the installed (default) application to display the attachment (e.g. Acrobat reader for PDF files)?
When you attach an image file (of type jpg, png, etc.) and then click on that attachment, the image is opened in a Java Script panel embedded within RMsis.
However, when you click on attachments of type other than image like a word document or a PDF file, it can not be opened within RMsis.
However, you can configure your browser or OS to open these files in default applications after the files are downloaded.
You can follow the steps mentioned below for configuring default applications to open downloaded files for different browsers or OS :
- In firefox, you can set how Firefox should handle different types of files from the Applications tab available within the Preferences page.
- A detailed information is available here : https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/applications-panel-set-how-firefox-handles-files
- Google Chrome
- After downloading a file, you can select Open/ Always open with System Viewer/ Open with system viewer options to open a file.
- If you select Always open with System Viewer, the files will always open in selected application after downloading.
- In internet Explorer and Safari, there is no configuration to set a default application to open a downloaded file.
- You can download a file and configure settings within your OS to set a default application to open a downloaded file.